Two Headed Boy


I apologize ahead of time if this post ends up not making any sense since I'm writing it late at night and half asleep, but this is what I wore to see Neutral Milk Hotel yesterday. In case I haven't said it enough times, Neutral Milk Hotel is one of my favorite bands of all time, and my best friends, Adam and Whitney, bought me a ticket to see them at the Hollywood Bowl for my birthday earlier this summer. I've been in love with Neutral Milk Hotel since I was about 14 or 15, and it's one of those bands that got me through high school and that I have a huge emotional attachment to. Since the band officially broke up in 1999 (after only putting out two albums, including one of the greatest albums of all time, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea), I've spent most of my life under the impression that I would never get to see them perform live. Fortunately, the band surprised everyone by announcing a reunion tour last year, and I knew I had to see them. Of course, when I missed the chance to see them in Illinois last year, I went back to assuming I had missed them forever, so getting to see them yesterday was an actual dream come true. I can't even put the concert into words since it was so incredible. It was surreal seeing a band I'm so attached to and have spent years listening to through headphones and in my car, especially on particularly bad days, live. Jeff Mangum, the band's creator and lead singer, is one of my musical heroes and hearing him sing "Two Headed Boy," one of my favorite songs of all time, solo on stage was one of the best experiences of my life. I have no shame in admitting that I got pretty emotional. I think it's pretty understandable though.

Enough of the emotional rants about Jeff Mangum, though. Let's talk about this dress. I had contemplated getting this Dahlia lace dress for my birthday from my parents, but as you know, I settled on the Swedish Hasbeens instead. I'm obviously happy with my decision, but I never really stopped thinking about this dress. So, of course, when Dahlia had a huge sale recently, I had to snatch this beauty up for a steal. It's a little tricky to wear since it has an open back, and I can't exactly get away with going bra-less. Instead, it just gives me another good excuse to throw on  a cardigan. Not that I need one.


Okay, I'm about to pass out, so I should definitely head to sleep. I'm going to dream about Jeff Mangum's voice, and I suggest you do the same.

Dress: Dahlia
Cardigan, purse: Thrifted
Shoes: Swedish Hasbeens
Necklace: Fifth & Mae

11 comments

  1. I'm so happy you got to go to this show- seeing your musical favorites is the best experience! This dress is so pretty and I really love the shape. I'm seriously jonesing for these shoes though- seriously my Google targeted ads can back me up on this :) Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so awesome Elana, getting to see your favorite band live is an experience like no other - especially overcoming those odds! Haha, glad they got back together so you could see them
    Looooove this dress too. And of course, a cardigan fixes everything! ;)

    The Dragonfruit Diaries

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so great that you finally got to see them! I missed seeing one of my favourite bands a couple of years ago assuming they would be back at some point and then they split up. I was absolutely gutted! Love that dress, such a great outfit xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look stunning in this, especially that first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This dress is the prettiest thing!! It looks so feminine with your mint cardi!
    ~Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahhaa, I've never even heard of that band, but I'm gonna check them out now. Everything you rant about is worth seeing/listening to! :D You have great taste!
    Adore the lovely dress and that chubby bag is everything! *_*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so happy you got to experience your favorite band live! That sounds like a dream come true. I've never actually listened to Neutral Milk Hotel, but I'm going to check them out tonight.

    Lovely dress! I tend to buy open-back dresses with the intention of wearing them with cardigans. I could never go braless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this outfit so much! That is such a lovely dress. I'm so glad you didn't give up on it! With your mint cardigan is just adorable :)

    It sounds like you just lived a dream! What fun to see your favorite band!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The little details of your dress are so cute!

    Sincerely,
    Sabrina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful look! Adore your blog! Would you like to follow each other on GFC?! Let me know and follow me on my blog, I will follow you right back on both GFC and Bloglovin!
    xx
    Annie
    www.the-lostangeles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you got to go experience your favorite band live! That's so amazing! And your dress... so pretty. You're lucky to have grabbed it on sale! It looks so perfect on you!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete